These buildings were build in 1855, probably by Charles Fisher. The east eighteen feet
was a general store for Samuel Fisher, the west twelve feet a saloon for James Fagan.
Charles, Samuel's brother, also built the First Presbyterian Church to which Abraham
Lincoln belonged. The best known tenant in the Fisher Building was attorney James A.
Mattheny, best man at Lincoln's wedding. Lincoln was a frequent visitor to his friends
second floor office. The Fisher building was sold to Bud D. Buck as a hat store in 1883,
and in turn sold to Ben Yaffe in 1938 as a clothing store. The Fagan building later
became a candy store.